Here are a few lists we put together. Our Youth Book Lists page will help you find just the right book for you to read next.
The Arlington Heights Memorial Library is excited to launch Tween LitCrates, a library book box for tweens.
It's easy! Let us know your reading preferences and we’ll put together a Tween LitCrate containing a book recommended just for you with some extra special surprises. The goodies are yours to keep, but don’t forget to return the book and the crate!
Find out more info at ahml.info/litcrate. Registration for the March/April session is now full. Check back on May 1st to sign up for the June/July session.
100 Books Before High School
Reading all these recommended books can win you prizes! Teens and tweens in grades 4–8 can sign up for the 100 Books Before High School program and earn awesome prizes. Sign up and log books at ahml.beanstack.org.
Just for signing up, you’ll get a cool drawstring backpack. For every 20 books logged, you’ll earn a badge and a free book. Once you reach the summit of Mount 100 Books, you’ll earn a High School Survival Kit designed & built by our Teen Advisory Board, and include a USB power bank, mechanical pencil, mints, a super-pack of sticky notes, and so much more.
All prize books and High School Survival Kits were generously funded by the Friends of the Library. Participants can only complete the program and earn prizes one time.
Youth Book Me
Do you want to receive a curated list of recommended books? Complete our Youth Book Me form with your reading preferences and we will send you a list of books you might like. We can even put items on hold for you. We can't wait to help you find your next favorite book!
Fill out a Book Me Form today!
Parents, caregivers and adults, learn more about our Book Me service for adults here.
- The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian: A science fiction story for kids told in 15-20 minute episodes.
- April Eight Songs & Stories: A magical fairy tale podcast series for the whole family.
- Book Club for Kids: Young readers meet and talk about a book. Celebrity readers and authors join in the fun.
- Brains On!: An award-winning audio show for kids and families. Each week, a different kid co-host joins Molly Bloom to find answers to fascinating questions about the world.
- But Why: An NPR podcast led by kids. You ask the questions and But Why finds the answers.
- Buttons & Figs: A podcast for kids about playing with words.
- The Past and The Curious: Bite-sized, audio-based true stories of inspiration, humor, and the incredible achievements of all types of people throughout history.
- The Show About Science: Second grader Nate takes his listeners on an awesome adventure into the world of science research and discovery.
- Story Seeds: Kids collaborate with authors who grow original stories inspired by their story ideas!
- The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mart Patel: A serial mystery story that is, “Goonies meets Spy Kids meets Stranger Things” for middle grade kids.
- Wow in the World: NPR hosts guide curious kids and their grown-ups on a journey into the wonders of the world around them.