Homework Helpers in the Library
Teen volunteers are available in Kids' World select Wednesdays, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
See the calendar for dates.
Struggling with a class or need homework help? Teen volunteers can assist with completing homework assignments or practicing skills. Check ahml.info for a complete list of times when Helpers are available.
Online Tools for Research, Homework and More
- Encyclopedia Britannica: The world-renowned reference tool, with articles, images, videos and helpful links on almost every topic (countries, people, animals, science, etc.). Three versions: For Children, For Young Adults and Reference Center. 1st grade-adult.
- Student Resources in Context: Reference articles, overviews and magazine journal articles on all topics. Helpful at term paper time! 5th grade-adult.
- PebbleGo: For emergent readers--short articles and videos about animals, science, biographies and social science. Grades K-2.
- Core Concepts (Biology, Chemistry & Periodic Table): Overview articles to help understand important scientific principles. Grades 7-12.
- CultureGrams: Detailed overviews of all the world’s countries: government, population, daily life, etc. Grades 3-12.
- Visual Thesaurus: Love wordplay? Use Visual Thesaurus to explore connections between words and build your vocabulary. Read fun, informative articles about the interesting ways in which we use words. There’s even an online spelling be you can join. Also great for ESL learners. 6th grade-adult.
- Testing & Education Reference Center: Online test prep for ACT, the new SAT, GRE, MCAT, LSAT, GED etc., as well as several vocational tests (ASVAB, PRAXIS, etc.) and language/citizenship tests. High school students can do college and scholarship searches, and job seekers can use a resume-building tool. 10th grade-adult.
- National Geographic Kids: Pictures, books and magazine articles about animals, science, history, cultures, the environment and more. Grades K-8.