The Friends of the Arlington Heights Memorial Library is a nonprofit organization that raises funds to provide gifts (programs, materials, equipment and artwork) for the library. The Friends sponsor three yearly used book sales and maintain a book boutique (located on the first floor) offering used books and magazines for sale throughout the year.
Friends of the Library
Membership in the Friends of the Arlington Heights Memorial Library is open to all individuals in agreement with its purposes.
- Arlington Heights residents and non-residents are welcome.
- Several membership categories are available: individual, family, patron, life and corporate.
- All contributions are tax-deductible.
The membership year runs from April 1 to March 31. Applications processed between November 1 and March 31 will be for the following year which begins the next April 1.
If you prefer, you may submit a paper application. Paper applications are also available at the Checkout Desk on the first floor of the library. Instructions for submitting a paper application are printed on the form.
- Super Spring Sale – First full weekend in April
- Summer Back to School Sale – First full weekend in August
- Fantastic Fall Sale – First full weekend in November
Every sale includes a silent auction, which begins 6 p.m. on Friday and ends 2 p.m. on Saturday. A listing of these books can be found in the FOL newsletter.
All sales also include a Buy-It-Now Sale, which feature auction-quality items available for purchase.
- No electronic devices (scanners, laptops, cell phones, etc.) will be allowed at the sales.
- No bills over $20 will be accepted. Checks will be accepted.
- There will be three large book and media sales in 2020. The Hendrickson Room on the library's second floor features books for adults, and the Cardinal Room on the first floor features books for children.
6–9 p.m. Members only - Hendrickson Room and Cardinal Room
9 a.m.–4:30 p.m. - Hendrickson Room and Cardinal Room
|Sunday||11 a.m.–3:30 p.m. - Cardinal Room
11 a.m.–4:30 p.m. - Hendrickson Room
Gifts to the Library
Since its inception in 1968, the Friends have provided more than $1.5 million in gifts to the library. Funding is generally used to provide for short notice needs or needs not satisfied through the library's budgetary process. The Friends have paid for programs, materials, equipment, artwork and patron series, which include:
- Sunday Musicale series
- DVD shelving units
- Blu-ray and DVD collection
- Hendrickson Room audio/video system
- July 4 parade float and giveaways
- Holiday lighting
We welcome your donations. A drop-off box for books is conveniently located in the garage level entrance of the library.
The Friends of the Library sell book and audio-visual donations in our book shop and at our book sales. Funds raised by the Friends are used to support Library programs, exhibits, equipment, arts, and services. Items not sold are either re-donated or recycled. FOL will consider donation requests from nonprofit organizations and other groups that promote literacy, support education or provide community services. For more information, or to apply to be an approved organization for donations click here.
Friends Book Shop
Visit the Friends Book Shop on the first floor of the library to find used books and magazines.