Friday, April 24th, marked the 100 year anniversary of the Armenian Genocide. Not as well-known as the genocide that spurred World War II, more than 1 million Armenians were slaughtered or deported by the Ottoman Turks beginning in 1915. Some historians consider this to the primer used by Nazi Germany for the Holocaust.
Globally, from Los Angeles to Yerevan, crowds gathered to pay tribute to those lost and bring awareness to this catastrophe that continues to affect Armenians worldwide. American rock band System of a Down performed in Yerevan's Republic Square to honor their Armenian heritage.
Want to learn more? Explore more with these resources!
- 20 Voices - A multimedia site that highlights the experience of 20 genocide survivors.
- The Armenian Genocide - A brief reference book that overviews the topic.
- Armenian Genocide Centennial - The official website dedicated to commemorating the 100 year anniversay of the Armenian Genocide.
- Chicago Genocide Centennial - Website for the city’s local committee that brings awareness to the Armenian Genocide.
- The Knock At The Door: A Journey Through The Darkness Of The Armenian Genocide - A firsthand account from the perspective of the author’s mother.
See you space cowboy.
- Introduction to 3D Printing and Computer-Aided Design - Learn how to use TinkerCAD to design a 3D object.
- 3DRD: Thomas Middle School Final Project Presentations - Hear local 8th graders talk about developing, designing, and prototyping and invention or improvement to something existing.
- Pic Your Brain: Custom 3D-Printed Guitar Pics - Customize your very own guitar pic and stay for a brief lesson on guitar playing basics.
- Print out or download this picture of Evan.
- Draw a cool beard pattern onto Evan's face. You can use a photo editing software like Pixlr. (Tip: It helps if you use a bright color!)
- Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or tag it with #ShaveEvansBeard
- We'll put your drawings to a vote next week!
- In December, our awesome Teen Advisor, Evan, will shave his beard to look like the winning drawing!