ESL & Literacy
Literacy Office Hours: Monday–Friday 9 a.m–9 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m.–1 p.m.
Call 847-870-4309 or email with questions.
What ESL Students Have to Say
In addition to coming in to use the computer programs and audiovisual materials in the ESL office, Barbara encourages other English learners to check out CDs, DVDs, and recorded books to enhance personal goals.
- USA Learns A free web site for adults to learn English
- Vocabulary University English learning activities on three different levels, test preparation (SAT, ACT, TOEFL), vocabulary lesson plans and more
- English Daily Learn American idioms, learn English, conversation, business English, TOEFL, slang
- Interesting Things for ESL Students A fun study site for ESL: word games, puzzles, quizzes, proverbs and much more
- Activities for ESL/EFL Students Online quizzes, puzzles and bilingual quizzes to help you study English
- Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab Excellent listening exercises from Easy to Very Difficult levels
- One Language.Com A great ESL site for students and teachers with ESL Reference links
- UsingEnglish.Com A large collection of ESL tools and resources for students, teachers, learners and academics
- Voice of America News The Special English web site is an excellent tool to practice and improve your American English. Listen to news and read along.
We offer computers and software to help you improve and practice English on your own, at your own speed. Topics include:
- Business English
- Reading, grammar and writing
- TOEFL preparation
- American culture
Classes start on January 15, 2015.
This free class is cosponsored by District 214 and the Village of Arlington Heights.
- Open enrollment, new students accepted every week during class hours.
- Provided by volunteers
- Available by appointment
- Improve your conversational and reading skills
One-on-one reading sessions for all English-speaking adults who are learning to read and/or are developing reading skills. New classes begin in the spring and fall. A donation of $10 per class for materials is requested.