ESL & Literacy
Literacy Office Hours: Monday–Friday 9 a.m–9 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m.–1 p.m.
Call 847-870-4309 or email with questions.
What ESL Students Have to Say
Nadiya, a Ukrainian, was able to enroll in a program, study, and complete her Master’s degree with the help of a tutor and practicing with computer applications available through AHML's ESL Literacy Office.
- USA Learns A free web site for adults to learn English
- Vocabulary University English learning activities on three different levels, test preparation (SAT, ACT, TOEFL), vocabulary lesson plans and more
- English Daily Learn American idioms, learn English, conversation, business English, TOEFL, slang
- Interesting Things for ESL Students A fun study site for ESL: word games, puzzles, quizzes, proverbs and much more
- Activities for ESL/EFL Students Online quizzes, puzzles and bilingual quizzes to help you study English
- Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab Excellent listening exercises from Easy to Very Difficult levels
- One Language.Com A great ESL site for students and teachers with ESL Reference links
- UsingEnglish.Com A large collection of ESL tools and resources for students, teachers, learners and academics
- Voice of America News The Special English web site is an excellent tool to practice and improve your American English. Listen to news and read along.
We offer computers and software to help you improve and practice English on your own, at your own speed. Topics include:
- Business English
- Reading, grammar and writing
- TOEFL preparation
- American culture
- Provided by volunteers
- Available by appointment
- Improve your conversational and reading skills
One-on-one reading sessions for all English-speaking adults who are learning to read and/or are developing reading skills. New classes begin in the spring and fall. A donation of $15 per class for materials is requested.