As you anticipate the Thanksgiving weekend, you might be looking forward to the feasting, family time, and turkey-induced napping – or anticipating the frenzy of holiday shopping either by staying home or hitting the streets. If you are heading out over the weekend, we hope you’ll consider shopping small and local as encouraged by the “Small Business Saturday” movement.
In 2010, American Express introduced the idea of Small Business Saturday. The idea was to encourage shoppers to spend a part of their holiday shopping budget in brick-and-mortar businesses that are small and local. These businesses are the heart and soul of our communities.
Six reasons to shop local this weekend:
- It’s economical - Shopping in your community saves gas
- It supports a family – many small business are independently owned and need our business to stay in business
- Shopping local puts money back into your own community
- It’s cozy and old fashioned holiday goodness to shop local.
- Many small businesses will offer special discounts specifically for Small Business Saturday
- Your local small business owner is often able to provide a more personalized shopping experience.
Shop local this weekend and Happy Thanksgiving from the Business Services staff at AHML!