Display Case Policies and Procedures
Six designated display cases are generally available for the exhibit of materials by the Arlington Heights public. The library reserves the right to use one or more cases for library use, and to reschedule any outside booking if the library needs to use a reserved case. Individuals, groups, or organizations wishing to exhibit may indicate their preference of display case, but the library reserves the right to make the final assignment.
Duration and Frequency of Exhibits
Each exhibit is scheduled for the period of one calendar month. The display period begins on the first business (Monday through Friday) day of the month and ends on the last business day of the month.
- The following are eligible exhibitors:
- Arlington Heights Memorial Library
- Arlington Heights residents
- Non-commercial organizations based in Arlington Heights
- Any other individual, group, or non-commercial organization, only if the exhibit is sponsored by an Arlington Heights resident
- Exhibitors coordinated by library staff.
Exhibit materials must be of an appropriate size and quantity to fill the display case. Each exhibit must conspicuously contain the exhibitor’s name(s) and, should an exhibitor choose, contact information. The library will provide this sign. Any additional information to be displayed must be provided by the exhibitor. Display cases are not to be used for the sale of merchandise (for example, displaying price tags) or services or to solicit donations. Library-sponsored or co-sponsored exhibits and the Friends of the Library exhibits are exempted from the restrictions.
Loss or Damage
- Material that threatens violence or intimidation of any individual or group;
- Obscene material, defined as material that the average person, applying contemporary community standards, would find that the work taken as a whole appeals to the prurient interest; that the work depicts or describes, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct defined under Illinois law; and that the work taken as a whole lacks serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value
The library will contact the applicant prior to the first day of the exhibit month to determine a convenient installation time. Additionally, the library will contact the applicant prior to the last day of the exhibit month to determine a convenient removal time. The exhibitor must remove displays by closing time on the last day of the month, or the library staff may remove them. The library will not be responsible for the storage or condition of any materials removed. Library staff will be available to assist persons installing or removing displays only with respect to transporting and safe handling of the case shelves, or in giving advice about layout if requested. The library will provide standard signs for the display to include a title, name of exhibitor, and phone number or email address if desired.