What We Learned About Networking
Once in a while, Business Services attends chamber networking events where a speaker will teach their tips according to their expertise. Today we learned a few things about networking that might help you as you build your business and circle of influence.
1) Always wear your name tag on the right side. This makes it easier to see your name as you shake hands and make introductions.
2) Go into a networking event with specific goals in mind. This might include meeting 3 new people you've never met before, or getting the name of two business contacts from those who might be able to recommend a connection related to your specific audience.
3) Listen to people and ask questions when you meet them so that their introduction will be memorable.
4) Write notes about them on the back of their business card to help you remember your contact when you go to strategically follow up.
5) Make sure your business card is made of a material that takes to writing notes on it as well.
6) Use props to help make your introduction memorable.
7) When networking in a group, make sure you are standing in a "V" shape as opposed to a closed circle so that it encourages other's to enter the group.
Those are just a few of the take-aways from today's event. Check out the networking groups in your area and be intentional, you never know what kind of connection you will make!