Visions, Values and History

Our Vision

The Arlington Heights Memorial Library strives to add value in our customers’ lives by:
  • partnering with them to develop skills they need to succeed in all stages of their lives;
  • helping local businesses and community agencies thrive;
  • creating occasions for cultural experiences and discovery; and
  • offering opportunities in Arlington Heights for gathering, learning, contemplating, creating, and finding inspiration.
  • Adopted by the Board of Library Trustees—October 16, 2012

Our Values

We believe in:
  • Unparalleled Customer Service:  our best-in-class staff strives for continuous improvement by identifying and providing the services our residents and businesses need most.
  • Free and Equal Access:  all individuals have the right to choose for themselves what to read, hear, or view.
  • Fiscal Responsibility:  all decisions are weighed against the value added to the lives of our customers.
  • A Focus on Arlington Heights:  we are a part of the fabric of our community; all services are tailored to the unique needs of our residents and businesses.
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees—February 19, 2013

Library History

1887
The beginning of the Arlington Heights Memorial Library is traced to a meeting in the home of Mrs. Amos Walker, wife of the school principal. Inspired by the Chatauqua movement she and some of her friends were determined to bring a touch of culture to the community then named Dunton. They organized a "ladies' reading circle" and began collecting books. The reading circle eventually became the Arlington Heights Woman's Club, and a small collection of books would grow into a public library.

1896
First library buildingThe Woman's Club determined that a public library should be established and opened one in the home of Miss Effie and Miss Lucy Shepard at 310 N. Dunton Avenue.  This is only a few hundred feet from the present site of the library. The collection initially contained only 150 books. Miss Effie and Miss Lucy welcomed the public to their home two days a week for 15 years.

1909
The library was moved from the Shepard home to a small room in the school building on St. James Street, where it remained for eighteen years.

1926
An election finally made the library a true public library, and the Arlington Heights Woman's Club turned over a collection of 1,600 volumes and $1,800 in cash to furnish library quarters in the Municipal Building.

1952
1952 BuildingAn 8,000-square-foot building was built solely for library purposes at 112 N. Belmont Avenue. The library was dedicated to the memory of the service men and women of the community and has been known as the "Memorial Library" ever since. Rapid growth of the village made this building obsolete far sooner than anyone anticipated. Ultimately, more than 4,500 of the library's 58,357 volumes had to be stored elsewhere because there was no room for them in the library itself.

1968
1968 buildingIn June, a new library was built at 500 N. Dunton Avenue with a federal grant and funds from a bond issue. The building was 40,000 square feet and was designed to hold 123,000 books. In subsequent years, citizens twice approved bonds to purchase books to meet the needs of the rapidly growing community.

1973
The first bookmobile went into service on July 10. Executive Director Frank Dempsey brought the idea from Berkley, California, where he had established a bookmobile in the 1960s. It was a used 1966 bookmobile purchased from a library in Florida and was replaced with a new bookmobile in 1975.

1978
The library was expanded to 76,000 square feet. Library services and collections continued to expand throughout the 80s ultimately leading to a need for more space to meet the rising demand.

1982
The new Park Place Senior Center opened, and the library partnered with the village and the park district to offer services for seniors. In 1998 the library’s partnership expanded in the new Arlington Heights Senior Center to include a computer lab in addition to a reading room and programs for seniors.

1992
Voters gave their approval for $8.9 million to build another 56,000-square foot addition and to renovate the original facility. The two-story addition was completed in 1994, bringing the total space of the library to 132,000 square feet.

2005
The Dunton Avenue entrance got a much-needed renovation bringing it into ADA compliance and adding a new façade and vending café.

2009
Library Journal gives the library its highest rating – 5 stars – in a ranking of over 7,100 libraries across the country. Only 1% of the nation's libraries received the 5-star rating which was based on the annual number of library visits, circulation, program attendance and public Internet computer use.

2010
Kids’ World was renovated and refurbished. The project included carpet replacement, relocating the Kids’ World Desk, expanding and moving the preschool area, creating an I Can Read area, and rearranging the collection. It was accomplished without a tax levy increase using grant monies and general library funds.

2011
The library was voted the Business of the Year by the members of the Arlington Heights Chamber of Commerce in recognition of the library’s service to businesses.

2012
In October 2012 the library began a renovation and reorganization project designed to meet the changing needs of the community. Spaces were redesigned to include an expanded popular materials area, more small conference rooms, an expanded teen area and an improved training center with more computer and technology classes. The $2.8 million renovation was funded by money saved over a period of years so again, no tax levy increase was needed.